In chapter four of Michael Pollan’s book, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, he explores how cattle are raised to be made into meat. Pollan follows a calf from birth to feedlot to show this process. When calves are first born, they are allowed to remain with their mothers for the first six months. These calves are raised on ranches, with cows having access to fields and fresh grass. After the first six months, the calves are sent to feedlots. Feedlots are like large cities, holding hundreds of cattle, all being fattened for slaughter. Every day, the cows are fed a mixture of corn, antibiotics, and a source of protein. This mixture is intended to fatten the cattle as quickly as possible, disregarding the fact that this diet is actually terrible for the cows. Cows are meant to eat grass; it is much healthier for them. Corn is too high in acid for the cows, they are not capable of digesting it. This causes many problems for the cows, including bloated stomachs and liver failure. Because of the corn diet and the fact that cows are kept so closely penned together, the cows require many unnatural antibiotics. Most veterinarians agree that cows can only live on a feedlot diet for 150 days. After this amount of time, a cow’s system begin to shut down and they will die.
I was aware of a lot of these facts before reading this chapter. This is why I have chosen not to eat red meat, unless it is organic and grass fed. Besides the high fat content of this meat, making it exceptionally unhealthy, I am also disturbed by the amount of unnatural products that cows have to eat at feedlots. All of the chemicals in beef cannot be good for people. While I am also concerned for the animals health and wellbeing, I find the diet that the animals are fed is the most disturbing and detrimental to humans. This leads me to question:
1. 1. How many people are aware of cattle’s complete diet? And if they become aware, do they plan on changing their eating habits?
2. How can this situation be corrected? Is there a way to economically produce grass-fed beef, which is healthier for both the cows and humans?
I think the point you make of not eating red meat because of the unnatural products cows are fed understandable. In effect we ourselves eat those unnatural products by eating the cows. However, I am sure you drink alcohol and that might not be too healthy, but in moderation it leaves your system. So maybe a piece of meat here and there wont be the worst thing. But overall you are right and the unhealthiness of our countries cattle/meat is something to worry about.
ReplyDeleteBen